Federal Programs

Federal Immigration Programs and Categories

To immigrate to Canada, Immigrant Business BC offers several programs which suit different profiles. Looking for a better life in Canada, we will represent you before Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) which is responsible for issuing any type of visa for Canada (Tourist, Business, Temporary and Permanent Residency Visas.). Moreover, in Canada, each province has its own programs to immigrate to Canada but the final decision is given by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

To be properly prepared for the programs and be accepted by Immigration Canada, candidates must continuously check procedures and applications required by the Government of Canada. Therefore, you may profit from the expertise of a Registered Immigration Consultant by hiring an Authorized Representative who is always up to date and has adequate competencies to represent you before the Canadian Government under any available Immigration Program.

Skilled Workers and Professionals (Express Entry)

Those eligible for this program are selected based on their level of education, work experience, their knowledge of French and English languages and how well they will economically establish themselves in Canada. In addition, you may have arranged employment or have at least one year of paid work experience in a full time continuous position or are a foreign student enrolled in a PhD Program in Canadian Education Institution.

After verifying your eligibility for the Skilled Workers Program, a minimum of one year work experience is required which must meet the following criteria:

  • Been acquired during the last 10 years
  • Be a continuous period of at least one year and be paid
  • Be included in the category of Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or Skill Level A (professional occupations) or Skill Level B (technical occupations and skilled trades) on the list of the National Occupational Classification of Canada (NOC).

Finally, if the applicant meets all points of the first two grids, the application will be evaluated against an additional six criteria:

  • Age
  • Knowledge of French and English, the official languages of Canada
  • Study
  • Work experience
  • Employment in Canada
  • Adaptability (including spousal factors)
  • Proof financial power to support himself on his arrival in Canada

Ministerial Instructions are issued on regular basis. There is currently no occupational list at present under the new Express Entry program.

Canadian Experience Class Program (CEC) (Express Entry)

This program applies to temporary workers and foreign students who graduated in Canada. Candidates can do the transition from temporary stay to permanent resident. They must have the knowledge of French and English and qualifying experience so that they can contribute to the Canadian economy and society.

The requirements for applicants in this class are:

  • Planning to live outside Quebec Province
  • Be a temporary foreign worker with at least 2 years of full time skilled work experience or be a foreign student who has graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution with at least one year full time skilled worker experience (See NOC codes under referred to earlier).
  • Have gained the experience in Canada with proper work or study authorization
  • Apply to the program while working in Canada or within a year after leaving
  • Include results of language tests in the application (French and/or English)

In the case of a candidate who is married or has a common-law partner and both meet the requirements for CEC, one of them can be the principal applicant for the program and the other applicant can apply for an Open Work Permit or a Study Permit in the application process.

Investors, Entrepreneurs and Self-Employed Persons

Investors (currently not available): Under this program, you will have to invest a sum of CAD$800,000 in the Canadian economy. Moreover, you will become a Permanent Resident of Canada with the members of your family. To be eligible for this program, the candidate must at least have two years’ experience in a management position and having a minimum net worth of CAD$1.6 million obtained legally. Citizenship and Immigration Canada manages the investments. They are guaranteed by the Provinces. In order to get the Permanent Residency Visa, placement must be made prior to issuance of the Permanent Residency Visa.

Entrepreneurs (currently not available): Under this program, Immigration Canada attracts experienced business owner or manager who will become assets of a Canadian company that contributes to economic development and job creation. A minimum net worth of $300,000 is required and an investment of CAD$100,000 is required within 18 months after landing. This type of Program contains conditions after landing. For more information, do not hesitate to communicate with us.

Self-Employed: Under this program, Immigration Canada aims to attract new comers who have the intention and ability to create their own employment in Canada. Applicants must meet one of two criteria, have relevant experience that will enable them to contribute significantly to the cultural or athletic life of Canada or have experience in farm management and the intention and ability to buy and operate a farm in Canada. A minimum net Worth of CAD$100,000 is required.

Sponsoring your Family Members

Citizenship and Immigration Canada has created this program for Canadian Citizens or Permanent Resident who wish to sponsor a family member eligible under this program (spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, dependent child, or other eligible relatives). Please note that sponsorship for people who are engaged is not applicable at this time.

The “Super Visa” was launched in November 2011 to facilitate the reunification of Parents and Grandparents in Canada. The “Super Visa” consists of a long duration stay in Canada for two years with a validity of 10 years. For more information about the “Super Visa”, you may communicate with one of our experts. You must have proper healthcare insurance for the duration of your stay in Canada in order to qualify.

Work Temporarily

Citizenship and Immigration Canada issues annually about 150,000 temporary permits. To be eligible under this program you need the following:

  • A positive Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from an employer in Canada
  • A written job offer contract with your future employer, signed by you and your employer
  • Successful completion of the equivalent of a Canadian secondary school education
  • At least six months’ training or at least one year of full-time paid work experience in a related field or occupation (including six months with one employer) in the past three years
  • Good knowledge of English or French
  • A work permit before you enter Canada

PS: Some jobs do not require work permits. Many types of jobs do not require an LMIA or are LMIA exempt. For more information you may contact one of our experts.

Study in Canada

To study in Canada, each student must normally hold a study permit. The various requirements requested to be eligible for this program are:

  • Must have been accepted by a school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada that has a Designated Learning Institution Code (see new rules for Study Permits).
  • Must prove that you have enough money to pay for your:
    • tuition fees.
    • living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.
    • Return transportation confirmation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.
  • Must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate, if required.
  • Must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
  • Must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.

In addition, each student can work during his period of study in Canada.

We Can Help

For more information on how we can help you, please book a consultation with us today.


Success Stories

We bring you stories and updates on Newcomer business, changes to immigration, Canadian best practices, and connections to resources that you need to succeed:

  • Canadian Jobs & Careers
  • Canadian Immigration Law & Policy
  • Canadian Business & Industry
  • Canadian Marketing
  • Canadian Culture & Experience
Learn More

Connect With Us

Julie McMahon, RCIC, CAPIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
CICC number: R509339

Phone: 778.231.9410
Fax: 778.653.0665
Email: info@immigrantbusinessbc.ca
Website: www.immigrantbusinessbc.ca
Office Address:
Airport Square Building Suite 1100, 1200 West 73rd Avenue Vancouver, BC, Canada V6P 6G5
Contact Us